The church is located in the Castro Pretorio district, near Termini Station and was built between 1879 and 1887 at the behest of Pope Pius IX who, in 1870, laid the first stone of the new building; however, due to the annexation of Rome to the Kingdom of Italy, the works were interrupted; it was only thanks to San Giovanni Bosco that the construction could be resumed in 1880 and completed in 1887 by the architect Francesco Vespignani. On the right of the building is the Salesian hospital where the saint worked during his stays in Rome between 1881 and 1884.
The façade of the basilica, in neo-Renaissance style, is characterized by the contrast between white travertine and brick red; in the upper part there is a three-light window between two pairs of pilasters ending with a triangular tympanum, while pairs of Corinthian pilasters mark the lower part in four orders.
The interior, with three naves divided by granite columns, is rich in marble, stucco and paintings. The decoration of the carved wooden ceiling, the dome and the small domes of the side aisles are the work of Virginio Monti. The frescoes in the dome are considered Virginio Monti's masterpiece and refer to the Triumph of the Sacred Heart. In the center stands, on a throne of light, the figure of the Redeemer who shows his heart to Santa Maria Margherita Alacoque, also in glory.
The bell tower, which is also entirely clad in travertine, has a belfry, with elegant three-light windows, containing five bells and is surmounted by the statue of the Redeemer. 6.50 meters high and weighing 16 quintals, the statue is in embossed copper, hand-chiseled and gilded with pure gold leaves.
Photo credits: courtesy of the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Castro Pretorio official site
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
Um mehr über alle barrierefreien Dienste zu erfahren, besuchen Sie den Abschnitt barrierefreies Rom.