It was with the papal bull “Cum nimis absurdum” that Paul IV in 1555 founded what was to become one of the oldest and finest “ghettoes” in the world.

And within those tiny Roman alley ways winding their way around the Church of Santa Maria del Pianto, the ruins of the Portico d'Ottavia and the banks of the River Tiber near Isola Tiburina, that the Jews were relegated to live.

It was here also that, over the centuries, they built up an important part of Rome’s tradition. Visitors to the ghetto cannot fail to be astounded by the magnificence of the Synagogue, the splendour of the Jewish Museum and the delicious aromas wafting from the traditional trattorias of this historic district, where typical Roman dishes may be savoured.

And just nearby a visit to the small ancient Church of San Gregorio della Divina Pietà is well worth a visit. Better known as San Gregorio al Ponte Quattro Capi, it was celebrated because of the sermons Jews were compelled to attend during the Pontifical reign.

The places of the district

Roman-jewish food

Of the whole gamut of Roman food however, it is Roman-Jewish food that gets the laurels. One of the earliest fusion [...]

Fountain of the Tortoises

Positioned in the heart of the historic centre, the Fountain of Tortoises is indisputably one of [...]

The Tiber Island

Legend has it that the Tiber Island was formed, to say the least, in a rather [...]

Teatro Marcello -Theatre of Marcellus

At first sight, it appears to be smaller version on the Colosseum, which was nevertheless built [...]

The Portico of Octavia

Built in the second century B.C. replacing the Porticus Metelli so as to enclose the two [...]

La Sinagoga – The Synagogue

Europe’s largest, the synagogue was built between 1901 and 1904 in Rome’s Jewish  ghetto. The temple, [...]