Aristocratically isolated, vast and regular, Piazza Farnese, whose arrangement is attributed to Girolamo Rainaldi, is located in a peaceful environment decorated with two large twin fountains of Egyptian granite coming from the Baths of Caracalla.
The square is dominated by Palazzo Farnese, one of the most beautiful Roman buildings of the 16th century, started in 1517 by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane and commissioned by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese, the future Pope Paul III (1534-1549).
When Sangallo died, the works were continued first by Michelangelo (1546-1549), then by Vignola (1569-1573), who designed the rear facade, and finally by Giacomo Della Porta, who completed them in 1589.
On the main floor, the famous Gallery was frescoed, between 1597 and 1604, by Annibale Carracci, with the collaboration of his brother Agostino, Domenichino, and Giovanni Lanfranco. The adjacent Sala dei Fasti Farnesiani was decorated with frescoes by Francesco Salviati and the Zuccari brothers.