The Municipal Rose Garden, one of Rome’s most romantic gardens of Rome, develops on the slopes of the Aventine, in front of the remains of the Palatine Hill, just above Circus Maximus.
From the III century B.C. the place where the current rose garden stands was dedicated to flowers. Tacitus, in the Annales, speaks of a temple dedicated to the goddess Flora, whose celebrations, "floralia", took place in the spring in Circus Maximus. Covered with vegetable gardens and vineyards until the end of the 16th century, it became, in 1645, the Jewish Garden together with nearby small community cemetery.
From 1934, when the Jewish cemetery moved inside the Verano monumental cemetery, the area, destined by the general plan of Rome to the Park, remained uncultivated until 1950, when it became the seat of the new municipal rose garden. As a thank-you to the Jewish community, which allowed to recreate the rose garden in a sacred place, a stele was placed at the entrance of the garden in memory of the previous destination, and the paths that divide the flower beds in the collection, took the form of the menorah, the seven-branched candelabrum, symbol of Judaism.
The Roseto is home to around 1,100 species of roses from all over the world, even from China and Mongolia. Among the most curious, the Rosa Chinensis Virdiflora, with green petals, the Rosa Chinensis Mutabilis, which changes color with the passing of the days and the Rosa Foetida, a smelly rose. In the largest area is the collection of botanical roses, both ancient and modern.
In the lower part there are the sectors where the roses participating in the Premio Roma (by invitation) and the roses collection are located. Since 1933 - the year of the first edition held in Colle Oppio - they have won this prestigious event.
N.B. The rose garden is only open during the spring months when the roses are in bloom.
From 16 May to 14 June 2020