The Church Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (formerly St James of the Spanish) was built on Piazza Navona east side. It was probably intended for the Jubilee of 1450, for the Bishop of Seville Don Alfonso de Paradinas, it was later closed to the cult and, in 1878, sold by auction. Bought by the French missionaries of the Sacred Heart, it was first modified and restored by architect Luca Carimini and then, also due to the realization of Corso Rinascimento, by Arnaldo Foschini. The interior has three cross vault aisles separated by lobed pillars. Behind the main altar, there is a serlian-shaped marble background (by Pietro and Domenico Rosselli). The Renaissance chancel, executed in polychrome marbles, is attributed to Pietro Torrigiani. The Chapel of St James by San Gallo the Young, is decorated with Pellegrino da Modena’s frescoes and with a statue of St James, plaster copy of the original work by Jacopo Sansovino, which is currently housed in the church of Santa Maria in Monserrato.
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
Pour connaître tous les services d'accessibilité, visitez la section Rome accessible.