Founded in 1912 as a private association, the Institute became a public body in 1936.
It promotes and executes researches, encourages and implements activities related to numismatics, and publishes the results both in monographic or miscellaneous works and in its own Annals periodical.
It organizes international conferences and cooperates with archaeological superintendencies, museums, universities, Italian and foreign research bodies.
It is a member of the Commission Internationale de Numismatique, of the International Union of Institutes of Archeology, History, and History of Art in Rome, of the American Numismatic Society in New York.
The Institute has a rich specialized library, a collection of about 11,000 medals from the 1800s to the 1930s, and a photo library of coins and medals, always updated.
It is based in Palazzo Barberini.
For the opening times and guidelines please check the official website.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.