The museum trace the evolution of the postal service by land, sea and air to the stage of mechanization.
The collection was started by the then General Director of Telegraphs, Ernesto D'Amico, who from 1878 to telegraph collected equipment and materials gathered from the Post Offices of the Italian states prior to unification.
Inside the museum you can see devices by Meucci and Morse, the floating laboratory used by Guglielmo Marconi in his experiments, the Pantelegraph ancestor of the fax, and one of three copies in the world, of the cryptographic machine Enigma, used during the second World War to transmit coded messages.
The museum is also home of several mailboxes and a rich collection of stamps, as well as a section dedicated to the history of telegraphy, telephony and military radio communications.
Museums and cultural sites are subject at the COVID containment measures.
For the opening times and guidelines please check the official website
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.