An evocative journey that takes us from the Middle Ages to the beginning of the 16th century, from the hieratic image of the ancient table of the “Madonna Advocata” and from the gold-ground medieval paintings to the complex and refined works by Beato Angelico, Filippo Lippi, Antoniazzo Romano and Perugino. The reopening of the eleven rooms on the ground floor of Palazzo Barberini, where once was the apartment of Prince Taddeo Barberini, completes the long process of transformation and rearrangement of the gallery’s permanent collection, which began in 2019 with the rooms dedicated to the 18th and 17th century painting, respectively in the South Wing and in the North Wing, and continued at the end of 2021 with the new rooms of the sixteenth century and the exhibition rearrangement of the piano nobile.
The 50 works presented to the public, arranged in the rooms according to a chronological and geographical order, dialogue and interact with each other: reasoned captions and explanatory panels available to visitors reveal references and correspondences, witnessing the evolution of style and the conquest of a new pictorial language. Access to the new is via the new Sala Orientamento, also known as the Sala delle scimmie (Monkey Room) because of the ceiling decoration frescoed around 1630 by Agostino Tassi and Simone Lagi. Here visitors will also find a suggestive “timeline” that runs along the walls telling the story of Palazzo Barberini and the museum, with an innovative multimedia table that allows visitors to consult various contents, in Italian and English, for example on the protagonists of the Barberini family and on the artists who worked there.