This is the old quarter where from 14 July 1555, on the orders of Pope Paul IV, all Rome’s Jews were forced to live. Today, many Jews still live here and it is possible to visit some shops selling typical Roman kosher food.
On the Lungotevere is the Synagogue, built in 1904. The façade, with three entrances in the portico, bears Jewish symbols such as the seven-branched candlestick, the tablets of the law, the star of David and the palm-tree branch.
The building also houses a permanent exhibition of Rome’s Jewish community with archaeological artefacts, prints, religious objects, liturgical silverware and religious robes.