Initially the agricultural property of the Pamphilj family, Villa Torlonia was purchased at the end of the 18th century by the banker Giovanni Torlonia, who commissioned Giuseppe Valadier to transform it into his residence, through the construction of the Casino Nobile and the Casino dei Principi.
In 1832, the heir Alessandro Torlonia continued the embellishment works, through the construction of other buildings, as the Temple of Saturn, the fake neo-classical remains, a Tribune with fountain, an Amphitheater and the characteristic Coffee-House.
Alessandro employed two other architects: Quintiliano Raimondi, for the Theatre and Orangery, and Giuseppe Jappelli, who was in charge of the entire south section of the Villa.
This area was completely transformed with winding boulevards, small lakes, exotic plants and decorated with buildings and outdoor furniture of unusual taste: the Swiss Hut (later transformed into the Casina delle Civette), the Conservatory, the Tower, the Moorish Grotto, and the Tournament Field.
In the 1920s, after a long period of abandonment, the villa became the residence of the Mussolini family. In 1978, Villa Torlonia was acquired by the Municipality of Rome and transformed into a public park.
Currently, the villa has regained its ancient splendour, offering the public three exhibition venues: Casina delle Civette, dedicated to the artistic stained glass window, Casino Nobile, which houses the Museo della Villa and the collection of Scuola Romana, and Casino dei Principi, home to the Scuola Romana archive and space for temporary exhibitions.
A pleasant refreshment point is located in La Limonaia (the Lemon-House), while in the adjacent Medieval House is located the Technotown scientific playroom.
Open from dawn to dusk
1° May 2019: open