Spread over an area of approximately 83 hectares, the monumental cemetery of Verano is named after a gens senatoria of republican age. The main cemetery of Rome, it has been a burial place for about twenty centuries. On the same place is attested the existence of an old Roman necropolis: the so-called catacombs of Santa Ciriaca.
Since its construction until 1980, almost all the inhabitants of the city have been buried there and you can find tombs of famous figures such as Goffredo Mameli, Trilussa, Giuseppe Ungaretti, Grazia Deledda, Sibilla Aleramo, Giacomo Balla, Ettore Petrolini, Alberto Moravia, Gianni Rodari , Eduardo De Filippo, Vittorio Gassman, Nino Manfredi, Vittorio De Sica, Alberto Sordi.
Founded along the Tiburtina consular road, it owes its construction to the edict of Saint-Cloud (1804), which establishes burials outside the city walls; the project was first entrusted to Giuseppe Valadier between 1807 and 1812; consecrated in 1835, the work continues under the pontificates of Gregory XVI and Pius IX, on a project by the architect Virginio Vespignani, between 1852 and 1871.After Rome becomes the capital (1870-1871), plots of land like Villa Mancini on which the Pincetto area is located are included. To this period belongs the large four-sided portico by Vespignani, on the back of the monumental main entrance with three arches with the four large statues representing Meditation, Hope, Charity and Silence.
Its current appearance is due to the restoration work which takes place after the bombing of the San Lorenzo district (July 1943), during which the Verano suffered damages in many parts.
Place of rare memories, with its countless historical and artistic treasures, the old cemetery emanates a fascination equal to Monmartre in Paris or Highgate in London.
From 1 October to 31 March open every day 7:30am-5pm
From 1 April to 30 September open every day 7:30am-6pm