The Museum of Zoology was founded by Pious the Ninth in 1853 and originated from the zoological collections of the Archiginnasio Pontificio. After alternate events that caused several moves and the yielding of a few of the collections, it was assigned to its current location in 1971. The collection started to grow again due to many zoological specimens gathered in the course of the faunal searches by the researchers of the Institute of Zoology. In 1977 the Museum incorporated the rich collection of insects (about three million) from the Institute of Entomology that was suppressed.
Currently the property of the museum consists of collections of vertebrates and invertebrates, maintained either dry or in liquids. It includes the collection of mammals and birds of Latium and the Western Alps and the collection of fishes, crustaceans, amphibians, reptiles, and micromammals of the Mediterranean area. The entomological collection is kept in the location of via Valerio Massimo, while another conspicuous part of findings is exhibited in the Museum of Zoology since 1932.
For the opening times and guidelines please check the official website
Pour connaître tous les services d'accessibilité, visitez la section Rome accessible.