The Palace, designed by architect Giulio Magni, Valadier's nephew, was started in 1912, and was inaugurated on 28 October 1928.
The creation of the Ministry of the Navy Palace coincided with the expansion of naval programmes along the lines of the then Minister of the Navy, Admiral Paolo Thaon di Revel. In the meeting rooms of the new building the Admirals' Committee, the most senior naval planners, and the heads of the General Staff met to discuss the birth of the new naval fleet and the creation of a future modern battle group.
Today Palazzo Marina is the headquarters of the Naval General Staff, the central offices of the Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defence.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.