The Museum of Comparative Anatomy originates from the Museo di Mineralogia et Historia Naturalis set up in 1805 during the papacy of Pious the Seven that the Archiginnasio della Sapienza. The current collection contains skeletons and anatomic preparations of vertebrates, instruments for histology, didactic collections of comparative anatomy, and cetologic materials. Particularly impressive are the skeletons of a finner that ran aground in 1866 on the Tyrrhenian coast near Santa Marinella and measures 22 meters in length, and of a sperm whale located at the center of the Cetacean Hall. The hall dedicated to the zoologist G.B. Grassi (1854-1925), whose name is related to the identification of the insect that transmits malaria, contains his souvenirs and manuscripts and an important collection of ancient instruments for the microscopic analysis of structures (microtomes, microscopes, microphotographic apparatuses) that can be dated back between the end of the eighteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century. Audiovisual devices are also available to the public in a small multimedia room. Connections: Metro B - Policlinico Bus 310 Tram 3 - 19
Museums and cultural sites are subject at the COVID containment measures.
For the opening times and guidelines please check the official website.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.