S. MARIA INMONTICELLI Very antique parish from the Regoladiscrict (C. VI-VII), the church owes its name to the fact of being located ontop of a slight height. It was rebuilt under the papacy of Pasquale II in theearly C. XII. Transformed under Clemente XI in 1715, the church was restored byFrancesco Azzurri in 1860. Theeighteenth-century-façade by Matteo Sassi embodies two orders: the formerpresents a gate that leads into the atrium; the latter, instead, a big archedwindow with a balcony. The interior presents a plan based onthree naves and three chapels per side. In the medieval apse one finds afragment of a mosaic from C. XII portraying the Redentore’s face. The churchalso houses works by Italian artists such as Mariani, Carracci (“Flagellazione”),Ruspi, Cariani and Conca. One of the chapels also holds a wooden Crocifisso fromC.XIV.
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.