Piazza della Madonna dei Monti is located between via dei Serpenti and via degli Zingari and takes its name from the church of S. Maria dei Monti which overlooks here with its left side.
In the square is the beautiful Fontana dei Catecumeni (Fountain of the Catechumens), commissioned by Pope Sixtus V Peretti to Giacomo Della Porta in 1588 and executed by the stonemason Battista Rusconi. The simple design, an octagonal tank in which two superimposed basins rise, and the non-precious material, travertine, confirm the intensive use of the fountain, located in a square at the time used as a market.
The coats of arms of Sixtus V and Roman people alternate on the tank, to show the contribution of the civic administration. The fountain, which takes its nickname from the College of Neophytes and Catechumens, built in 1635 beside the church of the Madonna dei Monti, was remodelled in 1680 under Pope Innocent XI and again in 1880, as attested by two inscriptions.
Today Piazza Madonna dei Monti is often animated by tourists and Romans meeting for an aperitif or a dinner in the neighbourhood.
In the square, there is also the church dedicated to Saints Sergio and Bacchus, officers of the Roman army and martyrs in Syria in 303. This church, of very ancient origins, was restored by Urban VIII, and initially entrusted to the Minims of S. Francis of Paola, who was then succeeded by the Ruthenian monks of Saint Basil who still own it.