From 1786 to 1788, the German poet Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749-1832) lived with his friend, the painter Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein, at Via del Corso 18. Today, the Casa di Goethe preserves letters, books and drawings regarding Goethe’s journey to Italy, which is at the centre of the permanent exhibition.
The Casa di Goethe organizes temporary exhibitions and cultural events dedicated to travelling in Italy as well as cultural exchange between Italy and Germany.
The historical library of german artists in Rome is located on the second floor
At the only German museum outside of Germany you find:
- Permanent “Goethe in Italy” exhibition - Temporary exhibitions (literature, travels in Italy)
- Readings, book presentations, talks, theatrical performances, music (Italian and German)
- Workshops for students (in German and Italian) • Guided tours in German, Italian and English
- Goethe library
- Historical library of the German artists in Rome (inventory in progress)
- Casa di Goethe scholarship financed by the Karin and Uwe Hollweg-Foundation, Bremen (D)
- Publications, catalogues and series of the Casa di Goethe
- Four-monthly programme and a newsletter for the friends of the Casa di Goethe
From 9 October 2021 to 17 April 2022
From Tuesday to Sunday 10.00-18.00
Last admission half an hour before closing
For updates and guidelines please check the > official website
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.