At the beginning of Viale di Trastevere is the church of San Crisogono. The church was built before 499 and restored in 1129. Afterwards it was restored in 1626 by Gian Battista Sorìa for Cardinal Scipione Caffarelli Borghese and again in 1866. The simple façade with a tympanum has a wide Dorian portico with four granite columns among two side pilaster structures, on top of them is a parade of vases, as well as eagles and bourgeoise dragons. The massive Romanesque bell-tower (1124) is crowned by a cusp, over which one may see the side of the church and the apse dating back to the 12th century. The interior of the basilica is divided by three naves with twentytwo antique granite columns with stucco capitals, added up during the restoration occurred in 1600, and was decorated by Pietro Cavallini, whose school also carried out the absidal mosaic. Two porphyry columns, the biggest ones in Rome, support the triumphal arch. The nice cosmatesque floor covers the entire surface of the church. In the seventeen-century ceiling with carved and golden coffers with a light blue background is a copy of the Thriumph of St Crisogono, a marvellous work by Guercino.
Weekdays: 7.00am-11.30am / 4.00pm-7.30pm
Holidays: 8.00am-1.00pm / 4.00pm-7.30pm
Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services)
Opening times are subject to change. Please refer to the Church
Visit to the excavations
Weekdays 7.30am-11.30am 4.00pm-7.00pm
Holidays 8.00am-1.00pm 4.00pm-7.00pm