One of the most popular stadiums in Italy has become 60 years old. Actually, construction work began in 1927 on the design by Enrico Del Debbio as part of the Foro Mussolini which after the war became the Foro Italico. The Stadio dei Cipressi, which was its original name, was inaugurated in 1937. Further extension work stopped during the war. In 1953, in anticipation of the 17th Olympiad, the building was inaugurated on May 17 with the Italy – Hungary football game. Until the inauguration of the 1960s Olympics, the complex was called Stadio dei Centomila.
The opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games, as well as the athletic competitions occurred inside the stadium. Radical restructuring of the Olympic Stadium occurred during the 1990 Football World Cup; interventions that have largely changed its previous appearance and which better integrated the stadium with the green landscape in the foothills of Montemario. In a balance between sport and spectacle, the Olympic Stadium hosts the home games of the Rome and Lazio football teams, the national meetings of the Six Nations Rugby Tournament, the Golden Gala of Light Athletics; but also, over the years, the trumpet of Miles Davis and the voice of Tina Turner, the sensuality of Madonna and David Bowie with the vitality of the Rolling Stones, combined with Puccini's Tosca and John Paul II’s Jubilee of Athletes.
Address: Piazzale del Foro Italico
Lo stadio è aperto esclusivamente durante gare, eventi sportivi, concerti ecc.