The Palazzo, seat of the Chamber of Deputies, was first designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1653, completed by Carlo Fontana, while further work was added by Art Nouveau Architect Ernesto Basile in the early twentieth century. Montecitorio, the Lower House of Parliament, has opened its doors to visitors via its special programme “Montecitorio a porte aperte”. With parliamentary staff acting as guides, visitors are taken on a long tour steeped in history which reveal the most important aspects of life in parliament, especially the actual debating chamber itself where its 630 deputies convene during a plenary session; the long impressive corridor opposite the Chamber called the “Translantico” or “Corridor of Lost Steps”, Bernini’s majestic stairway leading to the upper floors, the grand second floor reception halls (Sala della Lupa, Sala Aldo Moro, Sala della Regina).
Free visits: usually the first Sunday of the month (except August and the first Sunday of September)
Check the "Events" section