Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio | Turismo Roma
Vivre à Rome, découvrir Rome
Services touristiques et offre culturelle
+39060608
Your tailor-made trip

Social Block

You are here

Church of Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio

Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio

A tiny church a few steps from the Pantheon, named after Mary Magdalene and built on a 14th-chapel: Santa Maria Maddalena, the regional church for expatriates from the Abruzzo region, was entrusted in 1586 to St. Camillus de Lellis as the seat for the order he established. In the first half of the 16th century, the Camillians decided to expand the square by demolishing the properties across the street and to rebuild the church: the works lasted for almost a century, with the construction of the dome and vault by Carlo Fontana in 1673, and with the completion of the façade of Giuseppe Sardi in 1735.

The façade is a splendid example of Rococo style, unusual for Roman religious buildings. Curved and entirely decorated with stuccos, with the statues depicting St. Camillus De Lellis and St. Philip Neri in the lower part, St. Mary Magdalen and St. Martha in the upper part, it attracted however sneering comments from contemporaries who were unable to evaluate its grace and its originality and the detailing was referred to as “icing sugar” by some. 

The interior consists of a single elliptical nave with chapels on the sides, a transept and a deep apse that integrate perfectly with the later Rococo decorations. On the counter-façade there is a an extraordinary 18th-century organ loft involving gilded wooden carving and allegorical statues in white stucco. The beatiful sacristy is a unique example of the Roman Barocchetto style made between 1738 and 1741, with wooden wardrobes and presses painted to resemble marble. The ceiling vault was frescoed by Girolamo Pesce

The church is also known for a miracle linked to a polychrome 15th-century wooden statue of Mary Magdalene: during the disastrous flood of the Tiber on 24 December 1598, the statue was seen moving floating from a side chapel to the main altar, where it stopped. Until the late 19th century, moreover, on the occasion of the anniversary of the death of St. Camillus, Romans gathered here to receive a special blessed water, containing a small amount of dust from the tomb of the saint, a remedy for all ills or difficulties. 
 

Informations

Adresse 
POINT (12.47664 41.900097)
Horaires 

For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.

Contacts 
Email: 
comunicazione@camilliani.org - francidema@tiscali.it
Telephone: 
06 899281
Web site: 
www.camilliani.org
Share Condividi

Location

Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio, Piazza della Maddalena, 53
Piazza della Maddalena, 53
41° 54' 0.3492" N, 12° 28' 35.904" E

Pour connaître tous les services d'accessibilité, visitez la section Rome accessible.

Media gallery

Media gallery
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo MarzioChiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo MarzioChiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo MarzioChiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo MarzioChiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo MarzioChiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena in Campo Marzio

Node Json Map Block

Carte interactive

CHOISISSEZ LES ÉVÉNEMENTS ET LES SERVICES À PROXIMITÉ