The Colonna Gallery is situated inside the Palace with the same name in Piazza Santi Apostoli. It was set up in 1654 by cardinal Girolamo the First Colonna, who entrusted its construction to the architect Antonio Del Grande.
At his death in 1671 Girolamo Fontana took over the supervision of the works. The decoration of the vaults (Episode of the life of Marcantonio the Second Colonna, Apotheosis of Marcantonio the Second Colonna, and Allegory of Marcantonio the Second Colonna at Lepanto) realized by the painters J.P. Schor, G.Coli, F. Gherardi, S.Ricci and G.B.Chiari, was completed in 1702.
The colored marbles of the floor come from the Temple of Serapis on the Quirinal. The collection includes paintings by Bronzino (Venus, Cupid and Satyr, Madonna with drowsy Infant), Jacopo Tintoretto (Narcisus at the spring), Guido Reni (St. Francis in prayer with two angels), Guercino (Martyrdom of St. Emerenziana, St. Paul the hermit, Moses with the Tables of the Law, Archangel Gabriel), Annibale Carracci (Eater of Beans), Salvator Rosa (St. John the Baptist in acave), Dughet (various Landscapes).
The Gallery allows a view of the beautiful private gardens of the Palace.