The Jesuit Father Pietro Gravita gave birth to the building of the oratory in 1630 nearby the Collegio Romano. The construction works, financed by the faithful and noble families of the area, were completed in 1633. The oratory, popularly referred to as Della Santissima Comunione Generale, was dedicated to Santa Maria della Pietà and to San Francesco Saverio. Upon Father Gravita’s death in 1658, the oratory was named "Caravita". The facade, made of bricks in two orders, presents on the former one the entry portal surmounted by a triangular tympanum between two framed windows; on the latter one, instead, three windows of the Casa of the Jesuit Community. The interior, restored in 1800, appears with the nave preceded by an atrium whose vault is frescoed with the life of San Francesco Saverio", masterpiece by Lazzaro Baldi (1624-1703).
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.