The church was built in 1620 to honor Cardinal Carlo Borromeo, purchased by the Barnabiti da Rosato Rosati (1612-1620). It is called "Ai Catinari" due to the basin-makers that once lived here. The grandiose travertine façade is by Soria, who made it around 1635. The frieze holds the name of Cardinal Leni, who promoted the construction. The slender dome by Rosati, completed in 1620, has a high tambour divided up by twelve pilaster strips among which one finds arched big windows: it is considered one of the most beautiful domes of Rome. The interior has a Greek cross plan and was restored by Vespignani in 1861. The paintings and frescoes by Pietro da Cortona and Guido Reni depict the saint’s life. On the altar the crucifix with inlays made of marble, glass and mother-of-pearl, a work from the 1500s.
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
Para conocer todos los servicios de accesibilidad, visite la sección Roma accesible.