The church was built in neo-Gothic style between 1894 and 1917 by the architect Giuseppe Gualandi, and, despite the marble whiteness, the church is all in reinforced concrete.
The interior has three naves with very high pointed arches; in the walls, there are polychrome windows that create suggestive lighting effects. It is commonly defined as the "small Milan Cathedral",
thanks to the presence of many steeples on the facade, recalling those of the Milan Cathedral.
The church was commissioned by the French priest Victor Jouet who founded the Association of the Sacred Heart of Purgatory souls' suffrage. At the end of the 19th century, at the site of the current church, there was a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary which was destroyed by a fire in 1894.
According to tradition, a shadow that looked like a man's face was discovered on one of the remaining pillars. It was interpreted as an image of a soul of purgatory.
This fact is at the origin of the church and its name. Jouet, impressed by the event, began to collect a large number of documents and memorabilia on the manifestations of the Souls of Purgatory. Fabrics, breviaries, skullcaps, wooden tablets, nightshirts and bibles, on which "fire handprints" left by the souls of the dead appeared, are now preserved in a small museum next to the sacristy.
This museum is called Museo delle Anime del Purgatorio (Small Museum of the Souls of Purgatory).
For the timetable of the masses and visiting conditions, please consult the contacts.
Para conocer todos los servicios de accesibilidad, visite la sección Roma accesible.