The structures that can be seen beneath the building, at about 4 meters from the current street level, were discovered in 1899 when the building was restored. A greater part of the remains may be dated back to the 4th Century, revealing different building periods and may have been used for different purposes. A portico with columns, made of available material (three Tuscan capitals turned upside down, used as bases) has been partly preserved. The paving, still in existence, reflects the different building periods: the first previous piece, in large rectangular marble slabs, was there prior to the portico and shows interesting antique restoring. The walls, decorated with frescoes with aquatic subjects and landscapes, were removed during the seventies and are at present kept at the Museum. It is understood that these underground structures lead to a public building in the Campo Marzio (to be used for the four equestrian factions competing in Rome) while at a later date, this area became a private residence.
The monument is closed until further notice.
Para conocer todos los servicios de accesibilidad, visite la sección Roma accesible.