In 1833, the Borghese Princes expanded Villa Pinciana with the purchase of some neighboring vineyards and villas, including the Villa Manfroni Bernini, located immediately behind the Aurelian Walls, near Porta Pinciana. At the time, there was a structure consisting of an older part, open with a loggia, and a lower and more recent building of rustic character. The construction was restored by the architect Luigi Canina and used as a restaurant. After the damage suffered in 1849, during the battle between the defenders of the Roman Republic of Mazzini and the French troops who rushed to support the pontiff, it was used to house stables for cows and a milk and dairy products store. The Casina was used as a dairy even after Villa Borghese passed to the Municipality of Rome in 1903.
In the 30s, it took on a pompous guise and became a luxury restaurant with the name of Villa Umberto-Casino delle Rose. It then changed its name once again and was famous, in the years of the Dolce Vita, as a dancing called La Lucciola and a venue for social events. The beginning of the abandonment took place in 1976, when the concessionaires undertook improper adaptations, and not authorized by the Municipality of Rome, on a listed building. The works were stopped, and the consequent legal dispute was resolved only in the 90s of the last century. Meanwhile, the building was abandoned and in ruins, damaged by the fall of lightning and repeated vandal attacks. Only in 2001, the Sovrintendenza Capitolina started a complex intervention to restore the historic building that now presents itself as the Casa del Cinema, in the layout documented at the beginning of the 20th century, renovated according to the vintage images and descriptions.
The idea of creating a Casa del Cinema in Rome was developed by the journalist and cultural manager Felice Laudadio. The suitable location was found in September 2001 in the Casina delle Rose of Villa Borghese, thanks to the willingness of the Municipality of Rome, owner of the property.
Fully restored, it was inaugurated on 18 September 2004, in the presence of almost all the professionals of Italian cinema, who welcomed it with enthusiasm.
The Casa del Cinema has three screening theaters equipped with the most advanced digital technologies, an outdoor theater, dressing rooms and services, two exhibition halls, and the Vyta in Villa Borghese café-restaurant. The open-air theater is surrounded by a large green area and is active from May / June to September / October.
The Casa del Cinema is directed by Giorgio Gosetti.
The Deluxe Theater is a cinema hall of excellence created by the Deluxe. Equipped with 124 seats, it has become a relevant reality for those who work in the cinema and audiovisual sector and for all cinema enthusiasts. It usually hosts screenings, festivals, reviews, and press conferences. Equipped with the most modern projection and sound systems but also with high definition digital video projection equipment that can be connected to the satellite for HD and 3D video projection of films and events with sophisticated technological equipment made available by the partner Elsacom prima and Cinemeccanica-Barco later. It is also the first theater in Rome to be equipped for the video projection of 3D films. This room has direct access to the terrace of the Casa del Cinema.
The Kodak Theater is the conference and projection room created by Kodak, with 64 seats. Equipped for large-screen digital video projections, it usually hosts book presentations, debates, seminars, meetings, and screenings. Guests of the Kodak Theater can watch the events taking place in the Deluxe Room via videoconference. This room has direct access to the terrace of the Casa del Cinema.
Opened in the summer of 2007 and surrounded by a large green area, the outdoor theater of the Casa del Cinema can contain 200 people. It hosts important film festivals, but also events related to music and theater. The activities of the open-air theater run from May / June to September / October.
GIAN MARIA VOLONTÈ ROOM
On the ground floor of the Casa del Cinema, you can find a conference room dedicated to Gian Maria Volonté, with 35 seats. Ideal for book presentations, debates, seminars, and conferences, it is also equipped for video projections.
SERGIO AMIDEI AND CESARE ZAVATTINI HALLS
These exhibition halls are named after two great screenwriters in the history of Italian cinema: Sergio Amidei and Cesare Zavattini, who represent "all Italian cinema from A to Z." Here, you can attend photographic and pictorial exhibitions dedicated to cinema and its protagonists, as well as art exhibitions.
CINECAFFE 'AND CASINA DELLE ROSE RESTAURANT
In the enchanted atmosphere of the splendid park of Villa Borghese, in front of the Cinema dei Piccoli and a stone's throw from Via Veneto, you find the Cinecaffè, managed by Palombini, and the Casina delle Rose restaurant, located inside and outside the Casa del Cinema. The structure has quickly become the meeting place for many Romans and tourists who here spend relaxing moments sipping an aperitif and enjoying the delicious and always new gastronomic proposals.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.