The church of Santi Cosma e Damiano was made by order of Pope Felice IV (and thus also defined Basilica "Beati Felicis") in an aula of the Foro della Pace, in 527. In 1632 it was remodeled on a drawing by Arrigucci. The vestibule in front of the church, towards the Foro Romano, consists of the so called Tempio del Divo Romolo. Inside the church one can admire splendid mosaics dated C.VI. In the vestibule a big Neapolitan nativity is set up, dated C.XVIII. Moving on via a stairway one may access one of the rooms of the antique basilica, inside which the original altar is still saved. Upon exiting one may observe the excavation that extends itself in front of the convent’s façade made of bricks: it contains the ruins of one of the aulas that sided the Tempio della Pace, more precisely the one where the marble plan of antique Rome, whose carving was ordered by Settimio Severo, was exhibited.
HERITY certification: www.herity.it/33596-a.html
Open 10am - 1pm/ 3pm - 6pm
Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services)
For services schedule please call the Church.
Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church or visit: www.cosmadamiano.com/