Ancient heart of the Trastevere district, Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere is dominated by the Basilica from which it takes its name. Considered the oldest in Rome, the Basilica was built in the same place where a fountain was at the time of Emperor Augustus.
On the side, adjacent to the Basilica, is the seventeenth-century Palazzo San Callisto owned by the Holy See.
In the middle of the square is one of the oldest among the monumental fountains of Rome, already documented in the plan by Pietro del Massaio (1471) with a shape substantially similar to the one visible today: a polygonal basin in the center of which two overlapping basins rise (later reduced to one ).
The history of this beautiful fountain is particularly troubled and summarized in the four epigraphs inserted in the lower basin. Important restoration works were promoted in 1604 by Clement VIII Aldobrandini (1592-1605) and above all by Alexander VII Chigi (1655-1667), who in 1659 increased its water flow, until then very scarce in all neighborhood. Gian Lorenzo Bernini restored the fountain by inserting four double shells facing outwards. In 1692, under the pontificate of Innocenzo XII Pignatelli (1691-1700), Carlo Fontana replaced the Bernini shells with the current ones, larger and facing inwards.
It’s a piazza with a dual personality: tranquil by day, transformed into a lively meeting place for night-lifers, with the many restaurants and bars by night.