This is an ancient temple built, converted into a church in the ninth century, overlooking the valley of the River Almone, today the Valley of the Caffarella.
The building’s current look may be attributed to radical restructuring undertaken in 1934 during the papal reign of Urban VIII, who had a brick wall added between the columns (once part of a portico) as well as a bell tower erected on top of the roof.
Originally it was a small prostyle temple, tetrastyle in brick, dedicated to the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, with four columns embedded in its façade and an architrave made of pentelic marble.
La chiesa è visitabile solo in occasione di visite organizzate.
Controllare la sezione eventi in programma oppure fare richiesta direttamente alla Sovrintendenza Comunale